Coming into the new year, your company or organization is no doubt already planning to sit down to form a new plan for marketing. Since practically everyone has moved their business online given the pandemic, it is more important than ever to be able to stand out. One of the best ways to go about this is to use OTT (over-the-top) advertising basics as well as going with an overall OTT marketing strategy.
What Is OTT Advertising?
Put simply, it is a kind of advertising wherein content is delivered straight to viewers online through smart devices or streaming video services. There are a number of devices that usually fall under the classification of OTT, including but not limited to Apple TV, Chromecast, DVR set-top boxes, Hulu, Netflix, and various game consoles. It can be likened to traditional television advertising and it’s currently the most likely alternative to the commercials you probably grew up watching on TV.
There’s a big audience of viewers out there, and most of them have all but abandoned regular television and cable subscriptions in favor of streaming. In 2017, Pew Research Center found that 61% of Americans who fall between 18 and 29 did all their television watching on streaming services. In contrast, 31% of those respondents were still using a satellite subscription or signed up for cable.
Minimizing or skipping through OTT ads on a smart TV is not so easy because they run on full screen, which means that there’s a much higher chance they will get played through in full. Since the television is usually placed in the living room of a home, where families tend to convene, it also allows for reaching a wider demographic overall. While it may seem specifically geared towards young people who are tech-savvy, it’s actually an open channel to all ages and genders. The medium is an excellent tool for being able to reach diverse audiences.
What’s the Best OTT Content Marketing Strategy?
Marketing strategies are important, and when it comes to OTT content, these strategies are definitely key. Your best bet is to ensure that you have SMART goals from the get-go.
- Specific – Pinpoint exactly what your objective is. Are you trying to get more viewers? Do you need to increase engagement? Is there a quota for subscribers that you have to meet? The more specific you can be with details of what it is you need, the better. Being able to remain on track will be much smoother.
- Measurable – The best way for you and your team to track progress is to have something you can measure it with. Set a figure and keep tabs on how far you’ve gone and how much more you need to go. If you’re trying to increase engagement, for example, see if you can get 400 shares on social media.
- Attainable – Make sure not to set goals that are beyond the reach of your capabilities. Did it take you six months to get 1,000 subscribers? Don’t expect another thousand in a single month.
- Realistic – Based on what you currently have, what is the likelihood of achieving the goal or goals you set?
- Time-based – There should always be a schedule and/or deadline, so that there are clear parameters to work with.
Over-the-top advertising and content marketing has seen an uptick in the last couple of years, and with practically everyone relying more and more on the internet, this shows no sign of slowing down. Make it a requirement in your marketing strategy and watch your business thrive!
Need help with OTT advertising for your business? Contact EIC Agency today! We’re obsessed with working with businesses like yours to help you understand what makes your prospects tick.